Go Bowling at The Glen
Date: Aug. 20, 2023
Event: Go Bowling at The Glen (Round 25 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International (2.45-mile, seven-turn road course)
Format: 90 laps, broken into three stages (20 laps/20 laps/50 laps)
Race Winner: William Byron of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: Michael McDowell of Front Row Motorsports (Ford)
Stage 2 Winner: William Byron of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
SHR Race Finish:
● Aric Almirola (Started 27th, Finished 30th / Running, completed 90 of 90 laps)
● Aric Almirola (25th with 413 points, 448 out of first)
● Harvick clinched his spot in the NASCAR Playoffs by virtue of William Byron’s victory in the Go Bowling at The Glen. With Harvick 10th in the point standings and Byron being a repeat winner in 2023, Harvick is assured of getting one of the final three spots in the 16-driver playoff field regardless of the outcome of the regular-season finale next week at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway.
● Byron’s victory in the Go Bowling at The Glen was his ninth career NASCAR Cup Series win, his fifth of the season and his first at Watkins Glen. His margin over second-place Denny Hamlin was 2.632 seconds.
● There was one caution period for a total of four laps.
● All but five of the 36 drivers in the race finished on the lead lap.
● Martin Truex Jr., remains the championship leader after Watkins Glen with a 39-point advantage over second-place Hamlin.
● DYK?: Tony Stewart, the “Stewart” in Stewart-Haas Racing, leads the NASCAR Cup Series in victories at Watkins Glen with five (2002, 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2009). He was one win shy of tying the series record for most road-course wins at a single track, a mark held by fellow NASCAR Hall of Famer Bobby Allison at Riverside (Calif.) Raceway (1971, 1973, 1975, 1979 and 1981).
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Coke Zero Sugar 400 on Saturday, Aug. 26 at Daytona. The 160-lap race around the 2.5-mile oval begins at 7 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by NBC and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.