Pole Qualifying for the 60th Daytona 500
Date: Feb. 11, 2018
Event: Pole qualifying for the 60th Daytona 500
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (2.5-mile oval)
Format: Single vehicle, two rounds – sets front row for the Daytona 500
Pole Winner: Alex Bowman of Hendrick Motorsports (46.002 seconds at 195.644 mph)
Outside Pole: Denny Hamlin of Joe Gibbs Racing (46.132 seconds at 195.092 mph)
● Kevin Harvick (8th, 46.281 seconds at 194.464 mph in Round 2)
● Aric Almirola (13th, 46.539 seconds at 193.386 mph in Round 1)
● Clint Bowyer (16th, 46.658 seconds at 192.893 mph in Round 1)
● Kurt Busch (17th, 46.678 seconds at 192.810 mph in Round 1)
Format involved two rounds of knockout qualifying:
● Round 1: All 40 drivers participate. Top-12 advance to Round 2.
● Round 2: Top-12 battle for front-row starting spots in the Daytona 500.
● Only the front row is locked into the Daytona 500. Remainder of 40-car field will be set by results of Thursday’s Can-Am Duel.
● Harvick will start fourth in Duel No. 2.
● Almirola will start seventh in Duel No. 1.
● Bowyer will start eighth in Duel No. 2.
● Busch will start ninth in Duel No. 1.
The Can-Am Duel – twin 150-mile races which will set the rest of the Daytona 500 field – takes place at 7 p.m. EST on Thursday, Feb. 15 with live coverage on FS1. Speedweeks at Daytona then culminates with the 60th running of the Daytona 500 at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 18, with live coverage provided by FOX beginning with its pre-race show at 1 p.m.