United Rentals Work United 500k
Date: March 12, 2023
Event: United Rentals Work United 500k (Round 4 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Phoenix Raceway (1-mile oval)
Format: 312 laps, broken into three stages (60 laps/125 laps/127 laps)
Note: Race extended five laps past its scheduled 312-lap distance due to a green-white-checkered finish.
Race Winner: William Byron of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: William Byron of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Kyle Larson of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
SHR Race Finish:
● Aric Almirola (Started 31st, Finished 33rd / Running, completed 313 of 317 laps)
● Aric Almirola (26th with 56 points, 98 out of first)
● Almirola suffered a broken right-front wheel on lap 139 that sent him into the frontstretch wall. While he was able to continue in the race, the repairs to fix the damage put him four laps down.
● William Byron won the United Rentals Work United 500k to score his sixth career NASCAR Cup Series victory, his second of the season and his first at Phoenix. His margin over second-place Ryan Blaney was .330 of a second.
● There were five caution periods for a total of 35 laps.
● Twenty-four of the 36 drivers in the race finished on the lead lap.
● Alex Bowman leaves Phoenix as the championship leader with a three-point advantage over second-place Harvick.
“We were honestly a top-six car today. I wish we were up there at the end running for the lead because that’s where we were meant to be. We had lap times similar to the leaders all day and were making our way up there fast. The adjustments we made overnight were exactly what we needed, so that’s a positive out of another unlucky day. I never felt the wheel loose or anything. It just took off on me and sent me into the wall. There’s a lot of racing left to do before we come back here. I’m actually really proud of the improvements that we’re making from last year. Our finishes just don’t show it yet. We know we can compete up there and we will soon.” – Aric Almirola, driver of the No. 10 Go Bowling Ford Mustang
Next Up:The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Ambetter Health 400 on Sunday, March 19 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The race begins at 3 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FOX and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.