South Point 400
Date: Oct. 16, 2022
Event: South Point 400 (Round 33 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Las Vegas Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 267 laps, broken into three stages (80 laps/85 laps/102 laps)
Race Winner: Joey Logano of Team Penske (Ford)
Stage 1 Winner: Bubba Wallace of 23XI Racing (Toyota)
Stage 2 Winner: Ryan Blaney of Team Penske (Ford)
● Aric Almirola (Started 23rd, Finished 18th / Running, completed 267 of 267 laps)
● Aric Almirola (20th with 704 points)
Playoff Standings (with two races to go before Championship 4):
1. Joey Logano (4,084 points) 1 win
2. Ross Chastain (4,063 points) +18
3. Chase Elliott (4,062 points) +17
4. Denny Hamlin (4,051 points) +6
5. William Byron (4,045 points) -6
6. Chase Briscoe (4,042 points) -9
7. Ryan Blaney (4,040 points) -11
8. Christopher Bell (4,028 points) -23
● Joey Logano won the South Point 400 to score his milestone 30th career NASCAR Cup Series victory, his third of the season and his third at Las Vegas. His margin over second-place Ross Chastain was .817 of a second.
● This was Ford’s 719th all-time NASCAR Cup Series victory and its eighth of the season.
● This was Ford’s series-leading 14th NASCAR Cup Series victory at Las Vegas. It won its first race at the track on March 1, 1998 with NASCAR Hall of Famer Mark Martin.
● There were eight caution periods for a total of 42 laps.
● All but 11 of the 36 drivers in the South Point 400 finished on the lead lap.
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Dixie Vodka 400 on Sunday, Oct. 23 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. It is the eighth race of the 10-race NASCAR Playoffs and the second race in the Round of 8. The Dixie Vodka 400 starts at 2:30 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by NBC and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.