Inaugural Enjoy Illinois 300 by TicketSmarter
Date: June 5, 2022
Event: Inaugural Enjoy Illinois 300 presented by TicketSmarter (Round 15 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Gateway International Raceway in Madison, Illinois near St. Louis (1.25-mile oval)
Format: 240 laps, broken into three stages (45 laps/95 laps/100 laps)
Note: Race extended five laps past its scheduled 240-lap distance due to a green-white-checkered finish.
Race Winner: Joey Logano of Team Penske (Ford)
Stage 1 Winner: Austin Cindric of Team Penske (Ford)
Stage 2 Winner: Kurt Busch of 23XI Racing (Toyota)
SHR Race Finish:
● Aric Almirola (Started 8th, Finished 5th / Running, completed 245 of 245 laps)
● Aric Almirola (11th with 385 points, 122 out of first)
● Almirola earned his second top-five and his fifth top-10 of the season.
● Almirola’s fifth-place drive equaled his best result so far this season. He finished fifth in the season-opening Daytona 500.
● Almirola finished sixth in Stage 1 to earn five bonus points and fifth in Stage 2 to earn six more bonus points.
● Almirola made three NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts at Gateway (2006, 2009 and 2010), finishing among the top-10 each time. His best finish was fourth in 2009.
● Joey Logano won the inaugural Enjoy Illinois 300 presented by TicketSmarter to score his 29th career NASCAR Cup Series victory and his second of the season. His margin over second-place Kyle Busch was .655 of a second.
● This was Ford’s 715th all-time NASCAR Cup Series victory and its fourth this season.
● There were 10 caution periods for a total of 53 laps.
● All but five of the 36 drivers in the race finished on the lead lap.
● Chase Elliott remains the championship leader after Gateway with a nine-point advantage over second-place Kyle Busch.
“It was a solid day for us. We really needed that. It kind of turned the last month around. We’ve been running top-10 and finishing 20th or worse the last month-and-a-half. Really proud of the effort today. It was kind of a mistake-free day and ran inside the top-five all day. Drew (Blickensderfer, crew chief) and the guys on the team did a great job. We were just so close to having what we needed to go challenge those guys for the lead.” – Aric Almirola, driver of the No. 10 Built Ford Proud Ford Mustang
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Save Mart 350k on Sunday, June 12 at Sonoma (Calif.) Raceway. The race starts at 4 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FS1 and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.