Date: May 1-2, 2022
Event: Dover 400 (Round 11 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Dover (Del.) Motor Speedway (1-mile, concrete oval)
Format: 400 laps, broken into three stages (120 laps/130 laps/250 laps)
Note: Race began on Sunday, but only 78 laps were run before rain postponed the remainder of the race to Monday.
Race Winner: Chase Elliott of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: Denny Hamlin of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 2 Winner: Ryan Blaney of Team Penske (Ford)
SHR Race Finish:
● Aric Almirola (Started 27th, Finished 19th / Running, completed 399 of 400 laps)
● Aric Almirola (11th with 283 points, 135 out of first)
● Since joining SHR in 2018, Almirola has only one finish outside the top-20 at Dover.
● Chase Elliott won the Dover 400 to score his 14th career NASCAR Cup Series victory, his first of the season and his second at Dover. He beat Ricky Stenhouse Jr., as the race finished under caution.
● There were 13 caution periods for a total of 75 laps.
● Only 15 of the 36 drivers in the race finished on the lead lap.
● Elliott remains the championship leader after Dover with a 50-point advantage over second-place Ryan Blaney.
“Man, we had a car capable of running top-10 all day. We didn’t have it in practice or qualifying on Saturday, and Drew (Blickensderfer, crew chief) and the guys made the right changes for the race. Unfortunately, we just got caught on pit road at the wrong time and it put us two laps down. We were still racing hard and kept our Smithfield/Weis Ford in the ‘Lucky Dog’ position, but we didn’t get the break we needed to race for position again. All in all, we had a good car and good speed, so I’m proud of that.” – Aric Almirola, driver of the No. 10 Smithfield/Weis Mustang
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Goodyear 400 on May 8 at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway. The race begins at 3:30 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FS1 and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.