Bluegreen Vacations Duel
Date: Feb. 16, 2023
Event: Bluegreen Vacations Duel
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (2.5-mile oval)
Format: Twin 150-mile qualifying races that set the field for the Daytona 500
Duel No. 1 Winner: Joey Logano of Team Penske (Ford)
Duel No. 2 Winner: Aric Almirola of Stewart-Haas Racing (Ford)
● Aric Almirola (Started 2nd, Finished 1st / Running, completed 60 of 60 laps in Duel No. 2)
● Drivers earning odd-numbered positions from Wednesday’s pole qualifying session were assigned to the first Duel race. Drivers earning even-numbered positions from pole qualifying competed in the second Duel race. The starting positions for each Duel race were based on qualifying times.
● This was Almirola’s second career Duel win. His earned his first Duel victory in 2021.
● Almirola led five times for 17 laps in his Duel race.
● Almirola scored 10 regular-season points, Harvick garnered five points and Preece picked up one point. Only the top-10 finishers in each Duel were awarded regular-season points.
● Almirola will start fourth in the Daytona 500. His best Daytona 500 finish is fourth, earned in 2017.
Aric Almirola, driver of the No. 10 Smithfield Ford Mustang:
“Drew (Blickensderfer, crew chief) said this Smithfield Ford Mustang was going to be fast, but he said I would probably have my hands full. We kind of went for it in qualifying and put speed in the car and sacrificed some handling, and as you could see tonight it was a handful, but, man, this is so cool. Daytona is such a special place to me. I grew up sitting in those grandstands dreaming about racing here. I want that one on Sunday, though. We’re going to keep focused on that one. The job is not finished.”
The 65th running of the Daytona 500 takes place at 2:30 p.m. ET on Sunday with live coverage provided by FOX and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.