65th Running of the Daytona 500
Date: Feb. 19, 2023
Event: 65th Running of the Daytona 500 (Round 1 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (2.5-mile oval)
Format: 200 laps, broken into three stages (65 laps/65 laps/70 laps)
Note: Race extended 12 laps past its scheduled 200-lap distance due to a green-white-checkered finish.
Race Winner: Ricky Stenhouse Jr., of JTG Daugherty Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: Brad Keselowski of RFK Racing (Ford)
Stage 2 Winner: Ross Chastain of Trackhouse Racing (Chevrolet)
SHR Race Finish:
● Aric Almirola (Started 4th, Finished 21st / Accident, completed 211 of 212 laps)
● Aric Almirola (13th with 29 points, 23 out of first)
● Almirola won his Duel qualifying race on Thursday to start fourth in the Daytona 500.
● Almirola finished eighth in Stage 1 to earn three bonus points.
● Almirola led eight times for 16 laps to increase his laps-led total at Daytona to 45.
● Ricky Stenhouse Jr., won the Daytona 500 to score his third career NASCAR Cup Series victory and his second at Daytona. Joey Logano was running second when the race-ending caution flag flew on the final lap of overtime.
● Logano leaves Daytona as the championship leader with a two-point advantage over second-place Chris Buescher.
● There were eight caution periods for a total of 38 laps.
● Only 17 of the 40 drivers in the Daytona 500 finished on the lead lap.
● Two overtimes pushed this year’s Daytona 500 to a record 212 laps – a dozen laps beyond its scheduled distance and a whopping 530 miles.
● There were 21 different leaders in the race, tying it with the 2010 Daytona 500 for second-most all-time in The Great American Race.
● There were 52 lead changes, the fourth-most in Daytona 500 history, behind 2011 (74 lead changes), 1974 (60) and 1983 (58).
“Yeah, obviously we wanted a better result. That wasn’t how I wrote it up, but the Smithfield team gave me a fast car all weekend and we had a car capable of winning. That’s all you can ask for and hope a little luck is on your side. Daytona is such a rollercoaster of a race and you just have to be there at the end, and we were there at the end. We were strong all day, running up front until we had to check up with the guys starting to wreck in front of us, but they didn’t and we were all strung out until the caution came out. Then you’re just at the mercy of the ‘big one’ in front of you when you get back that far. I really felt like today was going to be the day. We came out strong as a race team this entire week. Qualified great, we won our Duel, and we really didn’t make any mistakes all day and ran a clean race. The pit crew was on it, and Drew (Blickensderfer, crew chief) and Joel (Edmonds, spotter) were on it, so this 10 team is showing a lot of growth and we’re going to be a strong team all year.” – Aric Almirola, driver of the No. 10 Smithfield Ford Mustang
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Pala Casino 400 on Sunday, Feb. 26 at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California. The race begins at 3:30 p.m. EST with live coverage provided by FOX and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.