Cook Out Southern 500
Date: Sept. 4, 2022
Event: Cook Out Southern 500 (Round 27 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Darlington (S.C.) Raceway (1.366-mile oval)
Format: 367 laps, broken into three stages (115 laps/115 laps/137 laps)
Race Winner: Erik Jones of Petty GMS (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: William Byron of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Kyle Busch of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
SHR Race Finish:
● Aric Almirola (Started 19th, Finished 11th / Running, completed 367 of 367 laps)
● Aric Almirola (19th with 602 points)
● Almirola earned his 13th top-15 of the season and his eighth top-15 in 15 career NASCAR Cup Series starts at Darlington.
● This was Almirola’s second straight top-15 at Darlington. He also finished 11th in the series’ prior visit to the track in May.
● Erik Jones won the Cook Out Southern 500 to score his third career NASCAR Cup Series victory, his first of the season and his second at Darlington. His margin over second-place Denny Hamlin was .252 of a second.
● Jones was the 17th different winner in the 27 NASCAR Cup Series races run this season.
● There were nine caution periods for a total of 58 laps.
● Only 18 of the 36 drivers in the Cook Out Southern 500 finished on the lead lap.
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Hollywood Casino 400 on Sunday, Sept. 11 at Kansas Speedway in Kansas City. The second race in the 10-race NASCAR Playoffs starts at 3 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by USA and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.