EchoPark Automotive Grand Prix
Date: March 27, 2022
Event: EchoPark Automotive Grand Prix (Round 6 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in Austin, Texas (3.426-mile, 20-turn road course)
Format: 68 laps, broken into three stages (15 laps/15 laps/38 laps)
Note: Race extended one lap past its scheduled 68-lap distance due to a green-white-checkered finish.
Race Winner: Ross Chastain of Trackhouse Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: Daniel Suárez of Trackhouse Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Denny Hamlin of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
SHR Race Finish:
● Aric Almirola (Started 25th, Finished 19th / Running, completed 69 of 69 laps)
● Aric Almirola (8th with 168 points, 40 out of first)
● Almirola’s 19th-place finish bettered his previous best result at COTA – 26th.
● Almirola finished fifth in Stage 2 to earn six bonus points.
● Almirola is the only NASCAR Cup Series driver to finish on the lead lap in every race this season.
● Ross Chastain won the EchoPark Automotive Grand Prix to score his first career NASCAR Cup Series victory. His margin over second-place Alex Bowman was 1.331 seconds. Chastain is the sixth different race winner in the six races run this season.
● There were nine caution periods for a total of 13 laps.
● All but seven of the 39 drivers in the race finished on the lead lap.
● Chase Elliott remains the championship leader after COTA with a 13-point advantage over second-place Ryan Blaney.
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Richmond 400 on Sunday, April 3 at Richmond (Va.) Raceway. The race begins at 3:30 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FOX and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.