Food City Dirt Race
Date: April 17, 2022
Event: Food City Dirt Race (Round 9 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway (.533-mile oval)
Format: 250 laps, broken into three stages (75 laps/75 laps/100 laps)
Race Winner: Kyle Busch of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Larson of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Chase Briscoe of Stewart-Haas Racing (Ford)
SHR Race Finish:
● Aric Almirola (Started 31st, Finished 23rd / Running, completed 250 of 250 laps)
● Aric Almirola (12th with 237 points, 87 out of first)
● Almirola’s 23rd-place finish bettered his previous best result in the Food City Dirt Race – 36th, earned in March 2021.
● Kyle Busch won the Food City Dirt Race to score his 60th career NASCAR Cup Series victory, his first of the season and his first in the Food City Dirt Race. His margin over second-place Tyler Reddick was .330 of a second.
● There were 14 caution periods for a total of 82 laps.
● Twenty-six of the 36 drivers in the race finished on the lead lap.
● Chase Elliott remains the championship leader after Bristol with a three-point advantage over second-place Ryan Blaney.
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the GEICO 500 on Sunday, April 24 at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway. The race begins at 3 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FOX and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.