Food City Dirt Race
Date: April 9, 2023
Event: Food City Dirt Race (Round 8 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway (.533-mile, dirt oval)
Format: 250 laps, broken into three stages (75 laps/75 laps/100 laps)
Race Winner: Christopher Bell of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Larson of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Tyler Reddick of 23XI Racing (Toyota)
SHR Race Finish:
● Aric Almirola (Started 19th, Finished 31st / Running, completed 240 of 250 laps)
● Aric Almirola (29th with 101 points, 180 out of first)
● Almirola finished 10th in Stage 2 to earn a bonus point.
● Christopher Bell won the Food City Dirt Race to score his fifth career NASCAR Cup Series victory, his first of the season and his first on dirt at Bristol.
● Bell was the seventh different winner in the eight NASCAR Cup Series races run this season.
● There were 14 caution periods for a total of 73 laps, including the final lap, as the race ended under caution.
● All but 10 of the 37 drivers in the race finished on the lead lap.
● Bell leaves Bristol as the new championship leader with a 13-point advantage over second-place Ross Chastain.
“I tried. I was out of my comfort zone already running up there and I was doing way better than I thought I was capable, and I started really getting a feel for it and a rhythm and started to get comfortable. Then I went down into turn one and tried a little bit harder and slid through the cushion and got in the fence and broke the right-rear toe link, and then we lost 10 laps changing the right-rear toe link. I’m just disappointed in myself and mad at myself for throwing away a good finish, but I was trying and just made a mistake.” – Aric Almirola, driver of the No. 10 Smithfield Ford Mustang
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the NOCO 400 on Sunday, April 16 at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway. The race begins at 3 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FS1 and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.